Sunday, May 1, 2011

A bittersweet weekend

On Friday Max got his teeth cleaned and also got a tumor removed by Dr. Chan. Thank goodness it was not malignant, but it's heartbreaking to see the love of my life, my little furry-baby stumbling around and wimpering in pain. It was not a good weekend for Max or me, either, since I'm fighting another cold off, which I think is turning into bronchitis. So on Saturday, when I should have been at the Oakland A's game for Jesse's birthday, Max and I were at home feeling sorry for ourselves. I did manage to make some lemon marmalade, though! Ingredients: 10 lemons, 4 cups of water, and 4 cups of sugar. Ouch! Toothache just writing that! It came out delicious.
Something I've been pondering for a good while now: If infertility had to happen to someone, I'm glad it was me, because I'm open to adoption, and not all people are. I know with all my heart that I could love a child that is not my own blood as if it were my own, and I know this because that's how much I love my dog. I figure, if I can love my dog Max as if he were my own flesh and blood, adore him and appreciate him in such a way that I think only Jack London would understand, then I KNOW I can love an adopted child that same way, if not more! Now, if only this adoption would move forward! I've been reading some pretty hilarious and thoughtful haikus lately, thanks to "Cory and Molly." After this weekend's events, I feel inspired to write my own haikus, two odes to Max:

Tumor Victory
Stitches on belly
Praise God was just fat tumor
He still wags his tail

Child or Dog?
If dogs lived longer
I wouldn't want to have kids
Max is it for me
I think Max is the most adorable dog I've ever laid eyes on! Isn't that what parents think about their kids? I think I'll be a good mom.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I think you will be the BEST mom ever, and love love love the haikus!! Your dog is seriously cute; he does Sad Eyes very well. And I feel the same way at times (especially after people say, "I could *never* adopt!") that, well, if IF had to happen to anyone, at least we are good to go down a new road. The wait times/uncertainty is really, really tough, though.
    Glad the doggie is ok, and the marmalade looks really, really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, you were missed!

    When you write your book, you should start each chapter off with an ironic haiku.

    You're welcome. Just thank me in the preface.

    ReplyDelete