Friday, January 18, 2013

Homemade Chicken Soup for flu season

Well......my husband and I got the flu.  And not the stuffy nose, aches and pains flu, but the stomach bug that's been going around that makes you feel like Sigourney Weaver when she gives birth to the alien.  It was absolutely dreadful.  Thank goodness for saltines and ginger ale.  But ALSO, thank goodness I made a huge batch of my homemade chicken soup and froze it in quart containers a couple weeks ago!!!  Here's my recipe:

8 cups of low-sodium chicken broth (I've made my own, and I've also used Better than Bouillon)
4 stalks of celery, chopped
3 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium-sized yellow onion
1/2 pound of boiled chicken breasts, shredded
3/4 cup of uncooked noodles (I like to use mini shells, but whatever is your favorite is fine!)
handful of fresh parsley (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

First, I saute the onion, celery, and carrots in a tablespoon of olive oil until the onions become translucent.  Next, I add the broth.  Ahead of time, I've boiled 1/2 pound of chopped up chicken breasts.  When they are cooled, I shred them into bits.  So now is the time to add the shredded chicken to the pot.  Next, throw in the uncooked noodles. Lastly, I throw in the handful of chopped parsley, add a little salt and pepper, lower heat to medium/low, and let simmer for about 45 minutes.  If the carrots are still a little crunchy by this point, lower heat to low and let simmer for another 15 minutes.

And it is really that simple!  Also, it's a great, delicate soup to help nurse a cold or flu.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing and perfect for the stomach flu. We've avoided that one so far, but I've had it in the past and it's the WORST.

    ReplyDelete